Bakuchiol : A Natural Alternative To Retinol
Posted on April 15 2019
Bakuchiol is a plant extract derived from the seeds and leaves of the Psoralea corylifolia, or "babchi", plant. Bakuchiol is a natural alternative to Retinol and has been formulated into our Phyto Radiance Concentrate, a face oil that provides exceptional line smoothing and moisturizing benefits.
Bakuchiol has been studied in clinic trials, one of which was recently published by Dhaliwal in the British Journal of Dermatology (Dhaliwal et al, Br J Dermatol 180(2):289-296, 2019). This prospective, randomized, double-blind study directly compared the ability of Bakuchiol and Retinol to improve the appearance of facial wrinkles and pigmentation over a 12 week period where participants applied Retinol nightly or Bakuchiol twice daily. They found that Retinol and Bakuchiol affected wrinkles and pigmentation similarly, but Bakuchiol application resulted in less scaling, stinging, burning and itching (Lev-Tov, Br. J Dermatol 180(2):253-254, 2019). Although the study was a single‐site clinical study involving only 44 participants, the scientific quality was high, as the authors used a vehicle control and objective measurements were made using validated computerized imaging systems. The results suggest that Bakuchiol can be used as a viable skincare option for those seeking natural, non-medicated, products.
In addition to being just as good as Retinol in reducing the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and pigmentation, Bakuchiol does not react to sunlight like Retinol and thus is safe for daytime use and can be applied morning or night.
Benefits of Bakuchiol
- Bakuchiol, from the Psoralea corylifolia plant, has Retinol-like benefits without the associated and unwanted side effects of Retinol (eg, scaling, stinging, burning and itching).
- Daylight stable face moisturizer
- Low irritation potential
- Evens the appearance of skin tone
- Softens the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Fades the appearance of dark spots
- Softens and smooths rough skin patches
- Revitalizes and brightens dull, lack-luster skin
- Environmentally friendly